Thursday, January 7, 2010

Up in the Air

"To know me is to travel with me."

- Up in the Air


I have to admit, this film didn't really stand out to me when it first came out. I'm not sure what it was - maybe it got lost in all the hype from Avatar. It just didn't capture my attention.

In fact, I didn't even plan on seeing this film. Only when I kept getting recommendations to go see it, that's when I decided to go ahead and check it out. I'm glad I did.

Let me just say, this is probably one of George Clooney's best performances (in my opinion). I really liked the way his character, Ryan Bingham, was portrayed. It really brought out a sense of "realness" to the film. Without going into too much detail (as I don't want to spoil it for you), let's just say I think there may be people who can relate or know someone like his character - it's a very relatable film.

Speaking of "realness," this film was a real eye opener - it really made a statement on the state of the economy today. With many businesses being hit hard financially, it really showed the effect it had on people with all of the layoffs and downsizing. And, the topic of "people" is really at the center of this film - it's what life is all about.

On the topic of "people," there was really one scene I enjoyed. Without going into too much detail, let's just say it was on the topic of technology replacing people. And let's just say, when it all boils down to it - we are people, not robots. There is no replacement for people - it's who we are.

Regarding the film, I really enjoyed the movie overall. It had a great story line - something everyone can relate to. I think the name of the movie really describes what life is all about - the unexpected. If we planned every moment and things always went according to plan, then where would the fun and mystery be?

Sometimes life doesen't always take us to where we thought we would be. Sometimes we end up in the most unexpected places. And, this is what life is all about - dealing with what is dealt to us. Sometimes it could be a good thing, sometimes it could be a bad thing. No matter what happens, it's up to us to make the most of it.

This is a story about life and how we deal with the unexpected. In a way, I think it makes a statement that the unexpected is what life is all about. This is a film that really makes you think - it makes you thankful for what you have today, not for what you might have tomorrow.

If you're in the mood for a drama type movie with a bit of comedy, I highly recommend this film. Check it out!

p.s. If anyone has read the book, I'd definitely be interested in hearing about it. Maybe I'll check it out!

(Note: For other perspectives on the movie, check out the following reviews from my tweeps:

Kelly Whyte - Review Link
Reel Artsy - Review Link
Reel Talker - Review Link

Happy movie watching!



Video Link

6 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

yeah, i'm gonna have to watch this. the trailer didn't draw me in, but every review i read has been fantastic. i'm not a fan of clooey's acting. he's just too one-note to me but i like that you pointed out the relatability of the film. now that's drawing me in. thanks for the review!

kellthegazell said...

You know it's funny, I never thought about how truly genius the title of this movie really is until you mentioned it. Great review!

Karen said...

I know what scene you're talking about, hilarious! Great film, definitely one of the best of 2009.

Film Gurl said...

(Candice) Most definitely! It really surprised me. If it weren't for all the recommendations, I probably would have missed it! It's a very excellent film, very enjoyable!

(Kelly) Hey, thanks! Going into it, I didn't really think about the significance of the title until I saw the whole film. Now, I get it! :)

(Karen) I know, it was such a classic scene! Very entertaining!

Thanks all for stopping by! :)

2dreviews said...

I've read several reviews on this. Both professional critics and movie fans on Rotten Tomatoes. I even wrote one of my own

This is a fresh review. I hadn't really considered thinking about the movie as dealing with change.

I signed up to every Film Gurl thing I could find :)

Film Gurl said...

Glad you enjoyed the review! Along the same lines, I posted up a trailer for an indie film called, "Lemonade," if you were interested. Here's the direct link:

http://tinyurl.com/ya8kqca

Thanks for your support and for stopping by!