Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Movie Rentals

Ah, the topic of movie rentals. I don't really rent movies anymore, there aren't many video rental places where I live except for Blockbuster, which is crazy expensive at $4.99 per video rental even the old videos too. And, let's not forget they conveniently do not have any late fees but will just charge your credit card for the full retail price of the movie if you are late and/or do not return the movie.

I used to go to the movie kiosk at the grocery store, but that got to be frustrating as there wasn't that much selection to choose from. I never tried NetFlix, though I tried a similar online movie rental service which is now out of business. I don't really like the online movie rental system because I'd have to wait for the movies to arrive in the mail. I'd end going to Blockbuster, so it didn't really work for me.

Now, I prefer to buy movies rather than rent them. Usually, I'll buy movies I've seen before and watch over and over again. Most times, I purchase used DVDs locally or online at Half.com, where I recently purchased Better Luck Tomorrow for $0.95. I kid you not. Of course, there was shipping and handling which was an extra $2.99. But, it came out to be $3.94 total, cheaper than renting it at Blockbuster.

Recently, I've found another source for movie rentals - the local library. That's right. I'm fascinated with all the resources we have available but do not use. People have told me that's kind of retro and not many people go to the library anymore. But, I think some people just look down on this kind of activity and think it's uncool - it's like school all over again. Maybe I'm a nerd - the library is cool. I've found some videos there I wouldn't have found anywhere else, as well as some others I'd watch again. And, it's a great place to find videos on other topics such as home improvement, interior design, feng shui, etc.

Besides watching movies, going to the local used DVD store is one of my favorite past times. I'm always looking for a new movie to add to my collection. I just finished watching another gangster movie, GoodFellas. I'm a big fan of Martin Scorsese. I look forward to adding more movies to my video collection!

No comments: