Sunday, January 18, 2009

Revolutionary Road



When I first saw the trailer for this movie, it looked interesting. Why? It looked like something I felt people could relate to, even in this day and age.

Though the film was set back in the 1950s, a lot of the themes and issues still hold true today. Now, I know a lot of people didn't like the film - they thought it was depressing. And, I do admit - it ain't a "feel good" type of movie. Also, alot of people also thought the themes brought up directly attacked the institution of marriage. Personally, I don't think it was an "attack" but a realistic picture of the issues people face in life.

Honestly, I think Sam Mendes did a great job in portraying Richard Yates' novel. What I liked about Mendes, is the way he presented the movie - it was not bias towards any one character in particular.

I think many people can relate to Kate Winslet's character, as well as Leonardo DiCaprio's. Neither the values or wants of either character is better - they are equally important because they are their own. Problem is both of them want different things and in the end - a different life. That is the issue.

After watching the movie, I went out and read the book. It's pretty much the same as the movie. Though, there is more character development - you find more background information about the characters. And, the scenes and the actions of the characters' in the movie start to make more sense. (By the way, I really like Yates' writing style. I'm reading another novel of his, The Easter Parade - it is really good).

All in all, I give the movie a thumbs up. If you want to see a "feel good" type of movie, this ain't the one to watch. Just my $0.02.

1 comment:

free tv shows said...

It was confusing movie. i was not able to swallow what all is happening in the movie. It is completely going above my head. I find it a disappointing one.