Thursday, April 23, 2009

Indie Film Sites - Where Have They All Gone?

I recently just finished reading Short Films 101: How to Make a Short Film and Launch Your Filmmaking Career. It's a very good book for anyone looking to get started in film. I find most people think features are the way to go when you first start off. Though, after reading the book - I think shorts are an excellent way to get started. Shorter films=less time and money and less risk at stake compared to trying to make a full length feature film. And, of course - less time editing.

While reading the book, it referenced a few indie fllm sites filmmakers could submit their shorts to including Atom Films, Hypnotic, and iFilm. These indie sites brought back memories. I used to go to Atom Films and iFilm regularly awhile back - I really enjoyed watching the different genres of shorts on these sites back then.

So, I decided to take a trip down memory lane and re-visit these sites. Though, to my surprise here's what I found:

1. Hypnotic no longer exists - it's gone.

2. Atom Films is now called Atom and was bought by MTV networks. On the site, it says "We're a mix of indie and mainstream media," and a tv channel called, Atom TV, somehow associated with Comedy Central.

3. iFilm was also bought by MTV networks and now called "Spike.com" marketed on the site as "...the premiere online desination for men."

It got me thinking about the indie filmmaking community and how the Internet has played an important role in helping filmmakers get their material out there. (Thank you, YouTube!)

With every generation, there will be new sites and places to visit for the indie filmmaking community. Here's a site I found for indie filmmakers to showcase their work dedicated to journalism in all forms - online, video, documentaries, and social issue media:

NomadsLand Network - http://www.nomadsland.com

One of the reasons why I'm interested in the Internet and the indie film community is because of time constraints - it's hard for me to go out and hit the festival circuit. Let's face it, work can tie most people down. But, with the computer and the Internet - it's like having your own personal movie theatre - pretty cool!

I am always on the lookout for new sites for indie filmmakers to showcase their work. If you know of any, send me the link and I'll check it out!

No comments: