Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Hurt Locker (2009)

"War is like a drug."

- The Hurt Locker


Watching this film made me realize and reminded me of a world so far from where we are today. This is what this movie felt like.

It really focuses on the lives of those who are serving our country even now. And, more specifically their role and job for what they are set out to do - serve and protect.

I think it was very interesting to focus in on one particular special unit - the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit (aka bomb disposal squad) whose job was to locate bombs and disarm them. It really made me see firsthand the importance and dangers involved in a world so far away from ours.

What was more interesting was the way the film portrayed the main character, Sgt First Class William James (played by Jeremy Renner), and his obsession with doing his job. In a way, this was a normal way of life to him. It was interesting to see how his obsession really had an effect on his team.

I really like how the film also portrayed the issues of soldiers returning home and the difficulty of coping with the everyday normalcies of life. So, then the film begs the question - what is normal? And, where is home?

It's a very unique story portraying a lot of different perspectives on the war. And, in the end it does show the audience a different and unique viewpoint - one that we may not see as outsiders.

It is very different being on the inside and being on the outside. In a way, those who are on the inside understand what those who are on the outside may not and vice versa. (If you've seen the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about - there's a unique twist at the end).

Overall, I enjoyed the film. It was a very unique story and kept my attention throughout the movie. There were a few scary moments that really made me on the edge of my seat - I kept wanting to watch more. And, then there were those scenes that showed the cruelty of the war and it's affect on the innocent - truly shocking.

It also made me think about a few things and made me thankful for those who are serving our country. For anyone who has served or know anyone serving, they may be able to relate to this film.

This movie served as a reminder that there is a world out there so different from the one we live in - a world where danger lurks everywhere. Sometimes we take for granted our everyday lives. And, don't realize there are those out there who are living in a completely different world - a world where anything can happen, where ones life can be taken at the split of a second.

To sum it up, this movie is real - very real. And, really gave me something to think about.

If you're in the mood for a war type film, I definitely recommend this one.

Happy movie watching!



Video Link

No comments: