Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Splice (2009)



"She's not human...not entirely."

- Splice


When I first saw the trailer to this film, it didn't look like something that I really wanted to see. So, I held off on seeing it. Though, it did peak my curiosity...just a bit.

Recently, I made the decision to go ahead and check it out. Going into the movie, I had heard some really bad reviews about it. And, I knew going in - I may not like it.

But, I guess my curiosity got the better of me. Was it worth it? To be honest, I think it was executed pretty badly but had some really good entertainment value (kind of like this movie).

In a way, I guess the trailer can be a bit misleading. When I first saw the trailer, I thought I knew what the movie was going to be all about. And, I assumed the film would just take place in one location. But, I was wrong.

At first, the film is a bit slow. It introduces you to the characters and their lives. At times, the first couple of scenes felt kind of slow.

(Note: For those who have seen the film, you'll know what I'm talking about).

But, the movie does take a turn (about halfway through). To be honest, it really surprised me. From there, let me just say - the events that happened were pretty unexpected. Quite frankly, I was shocked at some of the scenes and events that took place in the film - it truly threw me for a loop.

(Note: For those who have not seen the movie yet, I don't want to ruin it for you but let's me just say - there were a lot of "in your face" type moments that really shocked me).

In my opinion, I guess some of the scenes and events were really quite unexpected and a bit over the top. But, at the same time - it really did have some entertainment value. To be honest, I was stunned yet entertained at the same time. There were some parts of the movie that were so out there yet amused me at the same time.

(Note: For those who have seen the film, you'll know what I'm talking about).

As for the movie itself, I think it had an interesting storyline. Though, it just was not executed that well. And, I think they could have made the story better.

There were parts that were interesting but at the same time - parts that were just too unbelievable and over the top. I think if they changed a few things with the script, it could have worked with better execution.

If you're looking for a really good sci-fi movie with a good storyline and meaning, this film is probably not the best pick. Though, if you enjoy sci-fi type films and want to be entertained in a comedic way - I'd say this film does have some entertainment value.

(Note: When I say "comedic way," it's style and entertainment value can be kind of compared to this movie).

All in all, I'd say this movie would be really fun to watch with a group (if there's nothing else out there to watch). To be honest, I have no more words for this film - I really don't know what else to say. It was both intriguing yet shocking and amusing to watch at the same time.

Film Gurl's 15 Minute Rule: NEUTRAL

p.s. Feel free to leave comments on any post either here and/or my Facebook Page. Comments are always welcome, thanks for reading!



Video Link

10 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

i think arien brody is a good actor. wish he would be in better movies.

Film Gurl said...

I agree. I think he did a decent job in "Predators." This movie was pretty crazy. After the turning point, it just got really out of control. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving, thanks for stopping by! :)

Sadako said...

Haven't seen this one yet, but I'm kind of intrigued now. Nice write up.

willy jerk-off said...

I want to bugger Sarah Polley (as she was in 1997 when she was 18, not as she is now obviously).

Sean Grey Hanson said...

This movie truly impressed me in its pursuit of a more complex emotional response than fear.

jervaise brooke hamster said...

Of the 5 com-girl-ts above Willy Jerk-Offs was easily the most entertaining and i also thoroughly and whole-heartedly agree with every word of it.

Film Gurl said...

I think "Jervaise Brooke Hamster" and "Willy Jerk-Off" are one and the same person.

M. Hufstader said...

Splice was also not what I expected--I agree, the trailer was very misleading. But I was kind of pleasantly surprised, I got into it. I was along for the ride. And then when--SPOILER ALERT--he had sex with the creature? Whoa-ho. They went there. I give the movie mad props for actually making that jump, as twisted and insane as it was. So I was completely on board. But then...I feel like the ending fell a little short. It solved everything a little too simply and seemed more like the director just needed a quick ending and so threw in the whole--SPOILER ALERT--"everyone dies" routine. Cleans up the rest of the movie pretty easily and wraps it all up nicely. Nonetheless, I felt like it didn't live up to the complex and high standards the rest of the movie had delivered on, so I left the theater disappointed. But good review, and I definitely sympathize with mixed feelings on this one.

Film Gurl said...

Yes, there were definitely a lot of unexpected moments! It will be interesting to see how the next one pans out - I had no idea there was going to be a sequel until it was foreshadowed at the end of the movie. Glad you enjoyed the review!

Tee Chess said...

A nice science fiction horror film that is full of surprises. To me this movie worked so well and I enjoyed it from start till the end. Your review is very nice and provides an exact detail about this movie. Thanks for sharing.
Watch Splice Online