Saturday, November 6, 2010

Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)



Since I enjoyed the first movie, I decided to see the sequel. And, of all the nights - I saw this one on Halloween.

Going into this movie, I would say it's best to reacquaint yourself with the first one. Why? The reason being is that both movies are connected.

To be honest, it's more of a time line kind of issue. But, you will see a few familiar faces from the first movie. For those who have not seen the first one, it may be a bit confusing. So, I definitely recommend seeing the first film before watching this one.

(Note: For those who have seen this film already, you'll know what I'm talking about).

Regarding the film itself, it's very similar to the style of the first movie - documentary style. At first, I thought the home was the same home as the first. But, as the film progressed - it looked a bit different.

Since I had seen the first movie and was familiar with the documentary style, I was in anticipation as I watched the movie. So many times, I thought something spooky was going to happen. As it turns out, many of these scenes in the beginning were probably meant to keep the audience in anticipation.

(Note: So many times during the movie, I thought I saw shadows of monsters in the background during the night scenes. But, they were only regular objects. I'm wondering if they meant to give it that type of effect. Or, maybe my mind was playing tricks on me!)

In the beginning, the scenes were a bit short. And, many times - the camera view switched towards different parts of the home. As this happened throughout the film, it became faster every time (to show a change in day and night).

Compared to the first movie, this film felt like it went a bit faster. It was more the setting of the story and changes between night and day. To be honest, it was a bit tedious to keep seeing the same parts of the home over and over again with no change. Though, there is a reason to show this as the movie progresses.

As for the story itself, just like the first one - it's a bit comical at first. Being similar to the first movie, I would highly recommend watching this one with a group of friends. It's just very funny to watch some of the scenes and even more around a group of people.

(Note: For those of you who saw the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about. I especially enjoyed the pool scene. It was truly spooky and comical at the same time!)

So, I'm sure you're wondering if this is a scary movie or not. Though it follows the same formula as the first one, I would say it's just not as spooky and has the same effect as the first film.

With the first movie, we really didn't know what to expect. So, a lot of what happened in the first film was unexpected. And, I can honestly tell you - I felt extremely spooked out after seeing the first movie.

But, this film just didn't give me the same feeling as the first. To be honest, it was a bit more comical and funny than the first. Even during the scary parts, I laughed. I guess some of the scenes and the effects in this one made it less believable and more comical. But, that's just me.

(Note: For those who have seen this movie, you'll know what I'm talking about. Towards the end, some of the scenes just didn't seem real. I was actually laughing more than being afraid).

As for the end of the film, it didn't seem as disturbing as the first. And, in a way - it seemed like it just didn't have closure. The end was open ended and left to interpretation.

(Note: For those who have seen the film, I'm thinking they ended the movie the way they did in order to do another sequel. Maybe there are a series of movies planned for this franchise).

All in all, I would say this movie had it's moments. There were definitely a few scary scenes. It was "ok." And, it was entertaining at times. But, it just didn't have the same effect as the first film.

If you're in the mood for a horror type movie, I'd say this one is best to watch as a rental.

Film Gurl's 15 Minute Rule: NEUTRAL

(Note: For those who are fans of the film, definitely check out the spoof. Thanks for watching!)

p.s. Feel free to leave comments on any post either here and/or my Facebook Page. Comments are always welcome, thanks for reading!



Video Link

5 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

i'll probbaly see this..on a rental though, where i can have full access to the remote control :). i thought the first one was scary at the end but the trailer ot this sequel looks terrifying. thanks for this review!

Dan said...

I liked the original too. I haven't seen No. 2 yet but I'm guessing it's a film I'll like but criticise for treading the same ground as the first film.

jervaise brooke hamster said...

Film Gurl, kitten, baby, do you think there might be a possibility that you could post a picture of yourself wearing nothing but a skimpi bikini, i`d really appreciate it darlin`, thanks.

Film Gurl said...

(Candice) Oh, lol Candice! Good call. I think the trailer for this one is what really what sells the movie. I do admit, it is pretty creepy. Glad you enjoyed the review!

(Dan) Yes, it's definitely similar in nature. I guess going in, I was in anticipation the whole time. It will be interesting to hear what you think of it. Thanks for stopping by!

(jervaise) Oh, I'm flattered. Though, I continue to keep this a clean site for people of all ages. I do appreciate all your support for the site, thanks!

Dan said...

I do have a soft spot for films of this ilk - Blair Witch, REC etc., Still haven't caught up with PA2 yet but it's on my radar. I'll let you know what I think as soon as I've caught it.