Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What Color Is Your Parachute?



I've just finished reading this book. Basically, it's a book geared towards helping you find out what you like to do, your skills and trying to fit it into a career path that works for you - it was a real eye opener for me.

I have read the book in the past. And, usually I always fall into the same categories - interpersonal skills. I know that I'm good at working with people and group situations. However, what I explored further was the subjects that I enjoy. I had to narrow it down to 3 subjects and here's what I came up with:

1. Film
2. Writing
3. Business

All three of these subjects are all subjects I like to read up on and study. So, the goal of the exercise was to figure out how to integrate all three of these subjects into a career - it's all very interesting. I also found out after doing more exercises that I fall into the occupation family of writers, artists, and entertainers. This makes sense since I've always liked to write and entertain - ever since I was a kid. I made a post here about my prior interest in film growing up.

After reading the book and completing the exercises, it really helped me to see and focus on things I enjoy doing. Film, writing, and business are all subjects I enjoy learning about and studying - it's all very interesting to me.

I have read about the business of film (see this prior post), but I'm not really sure if the traditional route is for me. I really value my time and freedom to express myself - sometimes it could be difficult in a traditional work setting.

In any case, I will continue to watch and study film. I see it all as a journey. I've had some requests from some people about reviews for equipment and books for beginner filmmakers - it's something I may be writing about in the future. If you have a request for a film topic you'd like to see, feel free to contact me.

Happy movie watching!

No comments: