Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Silent Hill

"Mother is God in the eyes of a child."

-Silent Hill


In the spirit of Halloween, I've been in the mood lately for scary movies. So, I decided to re-visit one of my favorites based on the video game. (By the way, I'm a big fan of the video game. I've played Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4. Now, I'm currently on this one).

When it comes to horror type movies, I enjoy psychological thriller type films that have more to do with the mind - less blood and gore.

As a fan of the game, I really enjoyed watching this movie. The above quote sums it up quite nicely. It's basically about a mother caring for her child. And, the journey that leads them to the eerie place called Silent Hill.

If you've ever played the game, you'll be able to relate a lot to the film. I really enjoyed watching the different scene changes between daylight and night fall thus turning into what is called "nightmare mode." The whole beauty of the series is the psychological factor and questioning - Is what I'm seeing real? Or, is it all in my head?

I don't want to go into too much detail about the movie as I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. Though, I can say it's one of those movies that just needs to be seen rather than heard.

Honestly, I didn't have really high expectations for the film the first time I saw it. Since I'm a fan of the video game, that was a major part of my decision to go ahead and see it. Now, I'm glad I did.

It's probably one of the few films out there based on a video game that is actually good (in my opinion). I've seen other movies based on video games and I've been mostly disappointed. But, not with this one. It was really an enjoyable film from beginning to end.

It had a good story line and it captured my attention during the entire movie. Plus, the special effects along with the music and sound effects were great. Along with the scene changes, I really enjoyed the whole tone and feel of the movie. I was not disappointed.

As for the ending, it really played true to the eerieness of the film as well as the video game. I don't want to spoil it for you but let's just say it really brought together the real world with the imaginary world. And, this brought about a very spooky feeling.

If you're in the mood for a horror type (psychological thriller type) movie, I definitely recommend this one.

(Note: For another perspective on the movie, check out my tweep's, Action Flick Chick, review).

Happy movie watching!



Video Link

2 comments:

Action Flick Chick said...

I guess we think alike when it comes to Halloween because I just reviewed Silent Hill myself. This is definitely a good one to watch for a good scare.

Film Gurl said...

Cool! I found the review and just added the link here. I heard there may be a sequel. If they make one, I'm definitely planning on checking it out!

Thanks for stopping by! :)